Olsen Actuators has many years of experience in successfully developing and producing innovative motion control and automation systems that meet some of the world’s most challenging requirements. We are a strategic partner of the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC), one of Europe’s largest multidisciplinary research organisations. As a result, we benefit from approved access to STFC resources.
STFC manages UK’s interests in major international collaborations such as CERN, ESO, E-ELT and ESA. It also develops and manufactures in-house patented technology associated with such projects. Facilities and options available to Olsen and its customers include:
- Test rig design for proving application requirements
- Life-time modelling software and dynamic performance sizing tools
- Mechanical and electrical design – senior advanced level finite-element analysis and ANSI MATLAB
- Computer modelling with SolidWorks 3D CAD software
- Software engineering coders and programming specialists
- 3D printing technology – plastics, metals, rapid prototyping
- “Big data” computing – HP quantum computer and coders
- Virtual reality and simulation laboratory
We have an eight-bay production cell and a separate office for software development to IEC 61131-3 with optional third-party validation. We also have a dedicated area for final acceptance. Our products and systems use high quality commercial off-the-shelf (COT) automation components, which are selected to combine performance and reliability with value for money and ready availability.
Our machine shop is equipped with the latest 3D printers, including types that are suitable for metal printing. It also has three- and four-axis milling machines capable of working with most materials in lengths of up to 2 m. These facilities are complemented by Hass machines and CNC lathes.