Olsen Actuators is driven by our commitment to positive social values both in the workplace and in the wider environment we operate in. Our fundamental reason for the product range we have and the projects we choose to work on is underpinned by our enthusiasm for a more sustainable future driven by more efficient products and processes.
This resolution and commitment to sustainability within our business processes extends through to everything we do. Whether this is the charities we are involved in, the building and in-house energy-saving processes we employ or our general outlook on work and life, we are committed to giving our customers, employees and all stakeholders the best solutions for the present day and also the future.
There is extensive technical evidence for why our products provide greater efficiency, but our products also operate in many fragile environments, such as marine habitats, and we are proud that we offer solutions that do not leach harmful chemicals into these spaces.
Our products are also far safer than legacy alternatives, requiring little or no maintenance. They run quieter and are easier to switch out or clean down, making operations safer.
In our internal operations, we are committed to a safe, inclusive and fair working space for all of our employees. We believe strongly in a collaborative style and that every voice and role is valuable. Regular team meetings, both as part of smaller teams and also involving the whole company, engineer togetherness and teamwork. This is no lip service commitment either. This style of work ensures feedback from every facet of the business is heard and understood, enabling us to operate more efficiently and fulfil our customer's requirements to the maximum.
Work/life balance is incredibly important to us. We have a combination of full-time, part-time and sub-contracted staff working from home, on the road, or in our friendly office. All staff have health care coverage to help maintain a healthy body and mind. We have mental health first-aider both in the office and on campus. Online mental health care is also provided 24/7 through our healthcare provider.
Product training is essential as new additions to the range, and new advancements in technologies and industries, mean we cannot stand still or leave anyone behind. All staff are invited to training events with regular courses being taken online or at supplier HQs around the world. Recent trips have included Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and the US.
In addition to a friendly, welcoming office, we also like to ensure the team ethos is strengthened through team days out. These trips have ranged from hovercraft racing to a Crystal Maze adventure!
Our commitment is steadfast and resolute. The business will take appropriate and reasonable steps to:
- Ensure that all employment is freely chosen and forced labour is never used.
- Prevent the use of child labour, under the minimum legally permitted age.
- Prevent discrimination based on race, colour, age, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, disability, religion, political affiliation, union membership or marital status.
- Prevent inhumane treatment and harsh disciplinary practices.
- Ensure that legal compensation is paid to all workers and that any disciplinary wage deductions conform to local law.
- Ensure that the working week does not exceed the maximum hours and number of days set by local law.
- Allow workers to communicate openly with management regarding working conditions.
- Prevent bribery, corruption, extortion and embezzlement.
- Olsen recognises that discrimination and victimisation is unacceptable and that it is in the interests of the Company and its employees to utilise the skills of the total workforce. It is the aim of the Company to ensure that no employee or job applicant receives less favourable facilities or treatment (either directly or indirectly) in recruitment or employment on grounds of age, disability, gender/gender reassignment, marriage / civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation (the protected characteristics).
- Our aim is that our workforce will be truly representative of all sections of society and each employee feels respected and able to give of their best.
- We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination or victimisation. To that end, the purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all in our employment.
- All employees, whether part-time, full-time or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability. All employees will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of the workforce will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
- Our staff will not discriminate directly or indirectly, or harass anyone involved in our projects or activities because of age, disability, gender reassignment, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, and sexual orientation in the provision of the Company’s goods and services.
- This policy and the associated arrangements shall operate in accordance with statutory requirements. In addition, full account will be taken of any guidance or Codes of Practice issued by the Equality and Human Rights Commission, any Government Departments, and any other statutory bodies.
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff are recognised and valued.
- Every employee is entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all. No form of intimidation, bullying or harassment will be tolerated.
- Training, development and progression opportunities are available to all staff.
- To promote equality in the workplace which we believe is good management practice and makes sound business sense.
- We will review all our employment practices and procedures to ensure fairness. Breaches of our equality policy will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings.
- This policy is fully supported by senior management and has been agreed upon with trade unions and/or employee representatives.
- The policy will be monitored and reviewed annually
Full policies are available on request.